Torchlight

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Torchlight

Post by sinbad »

They've done a really fantastic job. Really easy to pick up, very very hard to put down (just one more level!) and it oozes quality. And it looks fantastic, even more so considering the low hardware requirements.

I had a free copy from the nice chaps at Runic but I'm so impressed I'm buying at least 2 extras - one because my wife wants to play it now she's seen me playing it, and one as a gift for my brother-in-law, who was/is about as obsessive about Diablo 1/2 as you can get, and I'm sure will absolutely love it.

Runic deserve to do well out of this, I hope the PC gaming community who have been starved of really good ARPGs rally round and buy it by the truckload.
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

I tried the demo, knowing that i don't like such "repetitive" games... but i got addicted by it :D
The action are fun by themselves to perform, and as they said, grinding random monsters has never been so fun :D
Graphically speaking it is fantastic, even if you don't account that is a FF game! (while i think some modern effects like celshading, shadows or HDR could have gratly enhanced the overall visuals).

And, a RPG with dual-wielded guns? WIN :D
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

I am not very familiar with this genre, but I was in the lucky position to get a free copy also. I started playing and I am sucked into it. Its very addictive. I couldn't play it this afternoon, because my son started to play with it (and he cannot stop). I sent him out, too much gaming isn't good for these kids. He, he, he, ... now its my turn again. :twisted: My twin is playing sweet and my wife doesn't return within 1.5 hour
Kerion
Goblin

Post by Kerion »

It runs incredibly well even on my Intel integrated piece of crud at work. Yes, I'm playing it at work from time to time...during my lunch break and such. It's really quite addictive.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Awesome game! :D
I played the crap out of Diablo, never bought Diablo II, but I am definitely going to buy this - so very addicting! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Rambus
Greenskin

Post by Rambus »

I also noticed that the monsters tend to be a 'little' harder to click on then in diablo. I assume this was a conscious decision in order to allow your pet to run and grab loot in the midst of a mob, but something I would rather see change.

And thats where the criticism ends.

Reading the front page of reddit today:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... uck_and_a/

I guess they are winning the community over with some great costumer service :)
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

spookyboo wrote:but I was in the lucky position to get a free copy also
Are they using PU as well? ;)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yep. :)
Torchlight Credits Screen wrote:Made with Ogre3D, CEGUI, ParticleUniverse and FMod
I don't think I got the exact wording right, but that's basically what it says, in bright orange letters (IIRC) at the bottom of the screen, so you can't miss it.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Well first you have to install the game to get to the credits screen... :p
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Just bought my copy now via Steam and played for about two hours. It is really cool and addicting (didn't intend to play that long as I have to prepare for my exams, but I couldn't resist having a look in the next stage / level...)

It is really well done, except that sometimes it is a little hard to see where you click, but all the monsters just make the scenes that cool if the fly around when being hit :)
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Brainshack
Greenskin

Post by Brainshack »

Hello,

I just read on the Website of my favorite Gaming Magazine here in Germany, that torchlight might be based on the Game Mythos. Just wanted to know if this is true.

Thanks!
Ogrillon
Gnoblar

Post by Ogrillon »

Brainshack wrote:Hello,

I just read on the Website of my favorite Gaming Magazine here in Germany, that torchlight might be based on the Game Mythos. Just wanted to know if this is true.

Thanks!
Iirc, Torchlight was designed with Mythos at heart, but they didn't reuse code or other assets from the cancelled title.
Enjoy the great taste of wassail... in cans!
dodongoxp
Halfling

Post by dodongoxp »

i bought torchlight too as im a fan of diablo 2.. i found this game quite fantastic.. i also last night could not leave the game alone and go to bed.. i ended up going at like 4 am :lol: hahahaha just like in the old times of diablo 2 :wink: hahahahaha
Cheers!! :D
David Segovia
Kerion
Goblin

Post by Kerion »

Brainshack wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
It's not so much based on as inspired by. Torchlight is made by the same (basic) team that did Mythos, but when Flagship went under and Mythos was canceled, the guys behind Mythos formed Runic Games and set out to basically make Mythos, but with new art assets and engine code (as the old stuff was owned by Flagship). So if it "feels" like Mythos, that makes sense, but Torchlight is it's own game, set in it's own unique world.

The good news is, Torchlight is getting EXCELLENT word of mouth. Over at the Penny Arcade forums, there is a lot of buzz about it, and the word is spreading. Hopefully Runic does really well on this release so they can continue to bring us awesome games in the Torchlight world, hopefully still powered by OGRE :)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

The music and the sound - awesome! :D
That was one of the greatest things about Diablo.
Olemars
Greenskin

Post by Olemars »

Yeah, Runic brought Matt Uelmen on board :) Winning move.
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Congrats guys, really impressive stuff. Seems to be universal good reviews - fantastic!
PaddyWagon
Halfling

Post by PaddyWagon »

I dropped by to check out your stuff at the last E3, it was already looking pretty smooth. Major grats on a release, guys :!: :!:
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of "congrats" and "well done"!
Cool game, smart business plan, and of course, fantastic choice of graphics engines. :)
hellotony521

Post by hellotony521 »

Good job indeed! I'm infatuated with the game after I bought it. It's very funny.
synaptic
Goblin

Post by synaptic »

Congrats loved playing this game last night, in fact i snuck home early from work just so i could play some more.... :twisted:
With time and patience, the mulberry leaf becomes satin. With time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Just bought!! Can't wait to play it :)
Kerion
Goblin

Post by Kerion »

Just watched the TorchEd videos for the first time. I love their editor, and I haven't even used it yet. The visual scripting system, combined with the "play in the editor" functionality is awesome.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

I've test it out but no support on Windows 7,Ogre itself works on 7 but Torchlight not,that sucks :(
Chance
Gnoblar

Post by Chance »

Torchlight works fine on windows 7 for me. Running 64 bit professional here, and using steam. It's been nothing but smooth sailing.

I had to buy the game about 5 minutes after trying the demo, because I didn't want to have to start a new character after being addicted, but when I upgraded my character was still there waiting for me. Really awesome game guys, I can't wait to see the mmo. I also can't wait to mod in a few models.